Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Heck Yes, Chantrelles!!

Hey Fellow Food Enthusiasts,                                  

First off, let me say, " Welcome to my first Blog"!  Thank you for your interest, possible comments, and general amusement- btw, if I am not amusing, let me know and I'll work on it. 

Any way, let's get down to the real nitty gritty, and I do mean gritty.  Ladies and gents, it is chantrelle season here in Tallahassee, and oh my, am I excited.   Quite a few days in the past week I have had the pleasure of foraging for those goldenrod yellow fungus beauties.  For those of you who have a hankering for chantrelles, but do not feel like paying the outrageous price of $10-$12 per pound in the grocery store, let me share with you a little knowledge to start your own chantrelle journey.

See! Ridges, not gills!
If you are interested in foraging, a few thoughts to keep in mind are these: chantrelles are a fungus and have a few look-alikes, primarily the Jack O'Lantern and the Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca.  Both of the two previously mentioned mushrooms differ from chantrelles in the ways that chantrelles DO NOT have gills, but are more so covered in ridges on their undersides and more closely resemble flowers than actual mushrooms.  Both the Jack O'Lantern and the Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca have visible gills, and are far more mushroom shaped than an actual chantrelle.  A word of wisdom though, if you do intend to forage and are doubtful, a pocket guide such as 
is quite helpful or go with an experienced friend as a guide.  I personally went with a friend who is a an experienced mushroom forager and felt I was well taken care of. 
On a related note, both of the non-chantrelle varieties I mentioned about are not really recommended to eat, as they could make you sick but not kill you.  However, hygrophoropsis aurantiaca is less likely to do so.

Image copied from benclark@flickriver.com
Another thought to keep in mind, is habitat.  Chantrelles are most usually found at the bases and lawns around oak trees.  They do need the shelter and shade these trees provide, but not total light blockage.  So, when scoping out possible spots, oak groves with patches of sunlight are most likely the best spots.   As well, chantrelles, at least here in Tallahassee, I've noticed like sandy/loamy soil with natural leaf compost. Actually, they can be down right sandy and gritty before thoroughly washed.
Grit and soil-tastic!!
Additionally,  when picking these little fungus gems, try not to pick any chantrelles that are slimy, brown around the edges as they might be drying out or decomposing, or too small.  I say too small simply because if you give them a few more days they could grow from the size to a quarter to the size of an adult hand.  Trust me, I've seen it!
My lovely bf Beau with his hand sized chantrelle!

With all that being said, grab a bag,and get foraging!!  Oh yea, if you are feeling so daring as to attempt eating your score, I have included a recipe (sorry no pictures, I was too distracted)!  Enjoy!





Chantrelle and Tortellini Soup
Serves: 6

1/4 leek, washed thoroughly and small diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 T olive oil
1 lb Chantrelles, VERY THOROUGLY washed, trimmed and small diced
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 Quart vegetable stock
1/2 bunch basil, chiffanoded
2 large handfulls spinach, chiffanoded
1 large pinch ground cumin
1/8 t garam masala
1 large pinch chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package refrigerated tortellini of your choice... I like cheese personally

1. Saute leeks and garlic together till translucent.  Add chantrelles, spices and
cook till a little soft.

2. Add tomatoes, stock, and tortellini.  Bring to a boil, and cook 10-15 minutes, or till pasta is nearly done.
2.  Add basil and spinach, cook till wilted, season with salt and pepper to taste




No comments:

Post a Comment