Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pho-la-la!

Hi Everyone,

So today I was struck with a sudden and intense realization, when groaning over having to write about sourdough bread and starter- and not having completed my "homework", that I really wanted...no, needed pho in my life.  With that being said, my little levain you'll just have to continue waiting patiently in the fridge.  Any way,  for those who do not know about pho or just are perhaps are less experienced with this particular dish, pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup.  It usually has delicate rice noodle strands, tender cuts of beef, a spiced savory broth with flavors including star anise and ginger, and assorted toppings like mung beans, a squeeze of lime juice, cilantro, and chilies.
Home made vegetarian pho! Phobulous!

My particular attachment to pho, and it's warm soupy spot in my culinary heart, began almost seven years ago.  My sister and I were looking for apartments in Gainesville, as we were moving there for school, a social network larger than our home town, and other college associated adventures. When heading down University Boulevard, looking for somewhere to eat in our soon-to-be new city, we discovered Siagon Legend.  It was the typical nicer Asian style restaurant, serving Vietnamese cuisine.  Now, I am am big fan of soup- nearly all kinds please me.  From the thick and hearty New England Clam Chowder, to the rich and soulful Borscht, or the light but filling brothy Udon, I do not discriminate. With that being stated, upon inspecting their menu, I was drawn to pho.  A great bowl of pho for me is so comforting, so homey, so tantalizing for my palate, that at times I think it is indeed as comforting as my mother's shrimp curry and roti. Since that day, and moving away from Gainesville, I have never forgotten my first bowl of pho and always lookk forward to my next.

In my quest for good pho, I admit I have not tried many restaurants' versions of it here in Tallahassee due to a lack of funds, just perhaps a lack of wanting to look things up online.  I know, laziness is not that great of an excuse.  However, I digress.  In this particular case of pho desire, I took matters into my own hands.  Based upon many many slurped up bowls of pho, and using Steamykitchen.com (http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html) as a culinary compass , I devised a non-traditional, inexpensive, and easy recipe. This particular recipe is vegetarian, but can be altered for those who eat meat.

Vegetarian Pho                                                                              *Abbreviations:  Q = Quart C =Cups
Serves 5-8                                                                                      T = Tablespoon t = teaspoon

 Broth
2 Q vegetarian broth
1 1/4 Q water
1/2  white onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 fat-thumb sized piece of ginger, cut into chunks
2 T olive oil
1/4 C Bragg's Amino Acids
1 t whole corriander seeds
1/3 t whole cloves
1/2 t mustard seeds
1 t peppercorns- I used white, but black can be substituted
salt to taste

Toppings
1 package rice noodles
1/ 2 bunch cliantro- rough chopped
1 small zucchini, very thinly sliced
1/2 pack shiitake mushrooms, juliened
1/4 white onion, juliened
1-2 limes, quartered
1 large handful snow peas
1-2 cups mung bean sprouts
1/4 package super firm tofu, cubed
1-2 chilies, jalapenos, or habanero peppers
1/2 bunch basil (optional)
Hoisin sauce to taste (optional, but super yummy)
Sriracha hot sauce (optional, but my sister swears by it)

Oh yea, look at those toasted beauties!
1. In a medium sized pot, on high heat, pour in oil and allow to get hot, and I mean almost smoking. Add ginger, garlic, and onion and allow to char.  Turn garlic and ginger pieces half way through charring to ensure evenness.

2. De-glaze pan with vegetable broth.  Add water, spices, and Bragg's.  Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for one hour.

3.  Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer, add salt, return to pot and bring back up to a boil. Be careful as the liquid, steam, and pot can burn you.
Strained, simmering, and read for action!

4. In the mean time, while broth is reaching a boil again, cook noodles according to package directions.  If directions are not legible, heat up a pot of water with just enough water to submerge noodles.  Bring to a boil, add noodles, and TURN OFF!  This will prevent your noodles from over cooking.

5.  Gather all wanted toppings, drain rice noodles, ladle broth into bowls and prepare for the feast!

Okay, folks that's it for this week.  Enjoy the soup!  Oh yea, feel free to post any comments, questions, or recipe adaptations you find enjoyable.

** Update:  I had my leftover broth and toppings as lunch today, at it was pholicious!  The broth was a bit mellower today, but still seriously photastic!





             
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks/sounds so delicious..and healthy!! Wonder if I could cook it just the same in a crockpot? Hmm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cami,

      Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but yes, you might be able to make the broth in a crock pot. I would still caramelize the garlic, ginger, and onions in a skillet though. Also, you could put all your spices on a tea ball, cheese cloth, or even a coffee filter that you have closed or sewn up. As for the vegetables, I would add them at the end, as they are meant to be fresh and crunchy. Hope this helps. :)

      Delete